Friday, June 1, 2007

They're off!

I rarely think about having access to fresh, clean water. It's only a few steps away, all I have to do is go to the sink and turn a tap. Even with our drought here in Georgia the biggest consequence on most people's mind is their landscaping. We take it for granted. About a billion people can't. They have to drink what they can find, where they can find it. If it's contaminated with sewage, microorganisms, or whatever, they just have to hope it doesn't kill them or their family.

To draw attention to the problem, beginning today, a team from the Blue Planet Foundation will be runninga kind of relay around the clock for 15,200 miles. They've been running for about two hours so far, and they plan to be running nonstop for the next 2278. The team only consists of 20 people, all of them in much better shape than I am.